Why should I teach my child to set goals?

Michele Borba
Studies show that goal-setting can help kids gain the sense of discipline it takes to stay motivated to complete the tasks they've set for themselves. The best news is that goal-setting is a skill that we can teach our children at a young age. And once they've learned how to set their own goal it shows in their performance as well as in their self-esteem!

The following are goal-setting benefits for kids:
  • You'll see your child start a school project -- without waiting until the last minute -- and finish it.
  • You'll find your child doing his chores -- without your nagging -- because he knows he has to do them in order to start on his homework.
  • You'll discover your child thinking through the jobs he needs to do for the week and making plans to complete them.
  • You'll also see your child's confidence grow as he succeeds in the goals he's set for himself.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Pediatric Emergencies: 6 Commandments of ER Care
1. Stay Calm. If you freak out, so will your child. 2. If your child is unresponsive, call 9-1-1 and do the "ABC" check: Check the Airway to make ...
How can I teach my kids to be positive?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Negativity can quickly become a habit that is deadly for developing “can do” attitudes. So squel...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
7 Ways to Help Kids Sleep Better
7 Ways to Help Kids Sleep Better