Why should I teach my child to be a good sport?

Erik Fisher
In sports, we want our children to learn confidence, respect, pride and integrity among other things. It is not a sign of confidence or integrity to mock other children and do the victory dances in the end zones while pointing at the other team. You have to ask yourself, that if your children are doing this, is this an extension of what you want them to learn? I haven't seen any physicians mocking each other after completing a difficult surgery or see businessmen spiking their briefcases after big deals (well not exactly). As a parent, keep in mind what you want your children to learn.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Disciplining Children: How to Give a Time-Out
We've found -- and the data support -- that a time-out is the most effective approach for discipline. It gives both the child and the parent a chance ...
What social skills should I teach my child to help him to make friends?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
To teach your kid friendship-making skills, start by focusing on one social skill your child lac...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Are There Carcinogens in Children’s Pajamas?