Why should I talk to my child about how well she practices social skills?

Michele Borba
Child development experts, Oden and Asher, discovered that a critical part of teaching social skills is evaluating the child's performance with her. That evaluation process (quick and brief), helped the child process and learn the skill. So see yourself as a coach -- the best ones always replay the skill and show athletes exactly what they did right or wrong. That step is crucial in boosting performance.

After your child has had a chance to practice her social skills, discuss how it went by asking questions such as: "How did it go?, What did you say?, How do you think you did?, What would you do differently next time?"

Don't criticize what your child didn't do, instead praise what your child did right.

If your child wasn't successful, talk through what didn't go well, so she can try it differently the next time.

Continue Learning about Parenting

6 Fast, Healthy Recipes for Frazzled Parents
"Knowing kids -- and parents -- need to eat healthy food is one thing. Getting them to do it is another. For starters, kids of all ages tend to hate a...
When is a good time to talk to my child?
Dinnertime is a great time to have family discussions with your children on topics that can affect e...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
7 Ways to Help Kids Sleep Better
7 Ways to Help Kids Sleep Better