Why should I get a babysitter?

Chances are, even if you are a full-time mom, you’ll want to go out to a movie or run an errand sometime in the next five years and will have to hire a babysitter. Or you may find you want someone else to watch Junior for a couple of hours while you clean out your closets in peace. In these cases, babysitters and mother’s helpers are ideal. They’re not expensive, they don’t require a big commitment, and they usually have tons of energy and think it’s really fun to take care of kids. Mother’s helpers are traditionally preteens who provide an extra pair of hands while you’re still in the house. Babysitters are slightly older and more experienced, either from having been mother’s helpers themselves, having babysat other children, or having cared for younger siblings.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Parenting

How to Be Your Child's Advocate at the Hospital
You can't be a silent bystander at any point in the care of your child. Make sure to speak up if you have questions or concerns. If you're the shy, pa...
Is it okay to let my child eat in front of the TV?
Don’t eat in front of the TV. It’s bad for everyone because it’s so easy to zone out in front of the...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Dr. Tamar Chansky - How can I help my child cope with fears?