Why might my child be a slacker?

Michele Borba
Here are common causes of kid slacking (kids who dawdle, put things off until the last minute, are unorganized, have poor time management skills, and cut corners) that shouldn't be overlooked:
  • Are expectations for your child appropriate? Could he be slacking because that violin class is over his head? Or that math class is way too easy? Meet with adult in charge to ensure expectations are realistic; alter classes and your expectations to align with your child's actual capabilities. Expectations that boost motivation should stretch but not snap a child's abilities. Too high of expectations cause anxiety; too low cause boredom.
  • Does your child have trouble focusing or have a problem learning that is causing him undue frustration? Discuss achievement scores and class performance with his teacher; ask for evaluation or arrange extra tutoring if needed.
  • Could he be mimicking another family member or your slacking ways? Tune up your behavior so you model the joy of work and ensure your child has examples of those who give "their all" instead of cutting corners.
  • Is there too much going on so your child doesn't have time or stamina to work hard? Reduce stress that you can; make time in your child's schedule so he can focus and work harder.

Continue Learning about Parenting

How to Keep Your Teen Driver Safe
How to Keep Your Teen Driver Safe
When 23-year-old singer-songwriter James Taylor starred in the 1971 drag-racing movie Two Lane Blacktop his character loved speeding down the highway....
Should I be concerned if my child brags a lot?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
There’s a bad attitude spreading among kids these days and it’s got a name: arrogance. No child ...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
As a Parent, What Should I Stock in My Medicine Cabinet for My Kids?