Why should I do a mid-year check on my child's school experience?

Michele Borba
Mid-year is when parents tend to have a good idea about how their kids are doing in school -- which subjects are hard or easy and how they like their teachers.

This is also a time of year when parents often overlook a few important aspects of their children's school experience that can greatly impact learning success.

That's why now is the ideal time to do a mid-year checkup with your child's progress, identify potential problems and resolve them so you make the remainder of your child's school year go far smoother and not be caught off-guard. Here are some issues to look at:
  • academic progress
  • attendance and tardies
  • friendships
  • activity load
  • sleep deprivation
  • meal skipping
  • stress level
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

How to Find the Best Pediatric ER Near You
First off, ask your pediatrician, of course. But do some detective work, too. Start by calling or stopping by the hospital to speak with the director ...
How can I help my child who is a slacker to stop procrastinating?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Slackers (kids who dawdle, put things off until the last minute, are unorganized, and have poor ...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Dr. Tamar Chansky - How can I help my child cope with fears?