Why do kids need bedtime routines?

Infants need routines but not strict schedules; begin to encourage babies three to four months old to fall asleep on their own. This is how they learn to soothe themselves.

Toddlers need routines that are consistently enforced; stuffed animals and blankies are encouraged, too. These transition objects allow children to feel safe and comforted when they are by themselves at night.

Preschoolers tend to develop creative stories and imaginations, so it’s not surprising that this is when sleepwalking and night terrors tend to peak. Again, stick to a bedtime routine.

School-age children need regular, healthy sleep and lots of it. It’s thought that most school-age kids age five to twelve actually get about nine and a half hours of sleep a night, but sleep experts say that most need ten or eleven hours each night. In battling the demands of after-school activities and sporting events, and then making time to eat and do homework, it’s hard for a lot of kids to get to bed early so they’re alert and well rested the next morning.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Parenting

How to Stop the Spread of Bullying
How to Stop the Spread of Bullying
In 1906 in order to sell his Square Deal, Republican president Teddy Roosevelt used what was called his Bully Pulpit to convince folks that projects l...
What reactions can I expect from kids if I implement a Screen Free Week?
Edward R. Christophersen, PhDEdward R. Christophersen, PhD
If you implement a screen-free week in your home you should expect the first reaction to be almost e...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Why Is It Important to Establish Routines for My Child?