Why should I help my child make friends?

Michele Borba
Research from Concordia University, Florida Atlantic University and the University of Vermont puts the importance of helping our children learn friendship-making skills up a notch.

The three-year study, reported in the journal Development and Psychopathology, involved a total of 130 girls and 101 boys in the third and fifth grades. It found that peers typically reject those kids with poorer social skills or perceived as overly aggressive or immature.

Researchers also found that friends can serve as a form of protection against sadness for our kids. Put another way, your child's pals can protect at-risk children from depression and anxiety.

Lead author, William M. Bukowski, states: "The long-term effects of being a withdrawn child are enduringly negative. Over time, we found that withdrawn kids showed increasing levels of sadness and higher levels of depressive feelings. Having one friend can be protective for withdrawn or shy kids. Our study confirms the value of having friends, which are like a shield against negative social experiences."

Continue Learning about Parenting

The Kids Are Alright
The Kids Are Alright
When Peter Townsend sang The Kids Are Alright in 1965, he was correct in assuming they were basically okay, but clueless about how kids are when it co...
When should my child see a counselor because of cyberbullying?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Cyberbullying can cause severe emotional damage and lead to depression. Please monitor your chil...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Dr. Tamar Chansky - Should I let my child watch the news after a tragedy?