Why should I find out what my child's learning style is?

Michele Borba
If your son insists on plugging into his iPod when he studies, or if your daughter swears that flash cards are the only way she can learn her spelling words -- listen up! While you may prefer a quiet room with no distractions when it comes to getting work done, that doesn't mean it's the best way for your kids to concentrate and get down to business.

Harvard researcher, Howard Gardner's work shows there are different kinds of intelligences-or ways kids learn best -- which include: musical, spatial, logical-mathematical, linguistic, bodily, intrapersonal, interpersonal and naturalist.

The trick is to pay attention to how your kid learns best so you can identify their unique learn style (not yours!) and then tap into it to help them be more successful. For instance, if your child learns best by remembering what she sees, point it out to her and encourage her to mindmap or draw those images.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Substitute Family Activities for Computer Time
If the tweens and teens in your life are complaining about back pains and headaches, check their screen time -- how many hours a day they spend starin...
How fair is it for me to expect my teens to do things I don't do myself?
Hal RunkelHal Runkel
When it comes to managing teens, you may feel like you're being unfair to expect them to do things y...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
What Are the Key Principles of "You" Parenting?