Why do kids cheat?

Michele Borba

Though there are a number of reasons kids cheat, the key to stopping it is to determine why your child is resorting to using this behavior. Here are a few:

• Weak honest quotient: Character is taking a backseat; conscience is under-developed or under-nurtured; or honesty isn’t stressed in the child’s home or school environment.
  • Stress: Push to excel is huge; pressure to get those grades (and maybe secure that needed college scholarship) is higher than ever in today’s economic crunch.
  • Dishonest examples: Expectation to be honest not emphasized by the family or school; the coach pushes the “score” at any cost, the teacher looks the other way; the parent who stresses the “grade” at any cost.
  • No time: The kid is so darn overscheduled that there is no time to study.
  • Fear of failing YOU: Fear of letting down or disappointing a parent is strong.
  • Pressure: It’s a hyper-competitive or high stakes learning environment.
  • Low skill level: Academic expectations are too high; expectations are too high or the child is incapable of work (due to lacking the skills or ability).
  • Peer pressure: Your child is in with a group that eggs him on; the other kids cheat; he’s in an environment where everyone else cheats.
  • Laziness or ease: The child has been allowed to get away with cheating; the Internet makes it so much easier just to cut and paste; Cheating is the shortcut to success.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Best Gift Grandparents Can Give: Playtime
Feeling just a little bit guilty because you're having so much fun with your grandkids ... maybe more than you had with your own kids? All the joy, an...
What should I do if I think my child needs therapy?
If you decide your child needs help, the first step is to talk to your pediatrician or family doctor...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Dr. Oz Discusses the Concussion Epidemic