Why do children need boundaries?

Lynne Kenney
Children need boundaries in order to feel safe, nurtured and loved. Whether a boundary is internal, related to our thoughts and feelings, or external, related to how we manage the space in our relationships, boundaries are central to our emotional and physical development.

There are many instances of external boundary-setting that are designed not only to maintain health and peace within a family, but also to help children develop internal self-control. It can help them establish expectations in their interpersonal relationships, and to be able to self-set behavioral boundaries based on the circumstances and norms of any given setting.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Pediatric Emergencies: 6 Commandments of ER Care
1. Stay Calm. If you freak out, so will your child. 2. If your child is unresponsive, call 9-1-1 and do the "ABC" check: Check the Airway to make ...
How can I encourage respect in my children?
Lynne KenneyLynne Kenney
If you wish your children to be respectful, let them see you be respectful to others as you go a...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Signs Your Toddler is Ready to Start Potty Training