Why should I correct my child's tendency to slack off?

Michele Borba
Though slackers (those who dawdle, put things off until the last minute, are unorganized, have poor time management skills, and cut corners) usually have fewer ulcers and are a bit more laid back, there are clear disadvantages for kids who adopt "taking the easy way is the best way" as a life attitude.
  • Relationship and reputation downer: Siblings, friends, teammates and parents get tired of always having to be this kid's reminder.
  • Achievement derailer: Test scores and grades are usually lower because he waits to study or turn tasks in without the effort needed.
  • Success curtailer: Because he doesn't practice or work as long as needed to experience success he's shortchanged.

Continue Learning about Parenting

How to Find the Best Pediatric ER Near You
First off, ask your pediatrician, of course. But do some detective work, too. Start by calling or stopping by the hospital to speak with the director ...
How can I teach my kids to be safe online from cyberbullying?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Let’s face it: it is a different world, and one big crucial parenting task is to make sure that our ...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
As a Parent, What Should I Stock in My Medicine Cabinet for My Kids?