Why is consistency important for kids?

Michele Borba
The biggest parenting mistake I see is inconsistency. You try "time out" on Tuesday but let that hitting slide on Wednesday. You ignore the whine at 2 o’clock but yell about it at 3 p.m. You try giving that small portion of peas on Thursday and give up by Friday. I guarantee you won’t get the results because you are inconsistent with your response. Kids need consistency -- they need to know what is expected. Your consistent response will make the difference.

Kid behaviors can be changed, but that change takes consistent parenting effort and a bit of time. In fact, learning any new habit (and stopping the old) usually takes a minimum of 21 days.

So stick consistency to your plan for at least 21 days. You should see a gradual diminishment of the old inappropriate behavior as the new more appropriate behavior kicks in. Also, pass your plan on to at least one other caregiver. You always get better results if you tag team (with your parenting partner or coach or relative or girlfriend or teacher).

And if you do not get the change or you see an increase in the behavior, it’s time to get help!
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

How to Talk to Your Kids About Tragic Events
In recent years, people all over the world have been assailed by images of tragedy, and the latest American mass shooting brings catastrophe to the fo...
How can I set a good moral example for my child?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Walk your talk. One great question to ask yourself each day is: “If I were the only example my child...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
What Are Three Parenting Personalities?
What Are Three Parenting Personalities?