Why should I encourage my child to write thank you notes?

Michele Borba
While kids love receiving gifts, writing thank yous is plain drudgery to most. But writing thank-you cards to others is a habit of gratitude we should encourage in our children.
  • Taking time to convey thanks is a simple, proven way to boost gratitude.
  • Doing so is another way kids learn to consider other people's feelings rather than just their own.
  • It also helps our kids understand that we expect them to use that practice.
  • And it helps bring back that glorious endangered tradition of the hand-written note! (Sigh!)
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

6 Healthy Fast-Food Meals for Kids
6 Healthy Fast-Food Meals for Kids
Soccer in 20 minutes? Marching band in 30? Shuttling kids between doctor appointments, play dates and music lessons sometimes means everybody's gotta ...
What information should I give my child’s coach?
When your child begins a new sport program, think about all of the things that your child’s coach/in...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Tips for Time-Outs That Work
Tips for Time-Outs That Work