Why should my child face consequences for bad behavior?

Lynne Kenney
Not making your child have consequences for bad behavior might teach them that it is okay to lie, cheat, steal and manipulate when we make excuses for their bad behavior.

What we should do  is have your child admit they did something wrong and make them face consequences for that. It teaches them to take responsibility for their actions. Take  the example of a child not doing a homework assignment. Don’t write the teacher a note for them missing the assignment; don’t make up an excuse for them. Your child should own up to it, and be honest with the teacher as to why the homework assignment was not completed and let the teacher decide the consequences for that action.

Hopefully this will carry onto adulthood and you will know you have a person that knows there are always consequences to our actions in life and they will be truthful adults with integrity.

Continue Learning about Parenting

How to Talk to Your Kids About Tragic Events
In recent years, people all over the world have been assailed by images of tragedy, and the latest American mass shooting brings catastrophe to the fo...
As a parent, what should I stock in my medicine cabinet for my kids?
When your child is sick or has an accident, the last thing you feel like doing is hopping in the car...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Heidi Helps Tomika Clean and Organize Her Minivan