Why might I feel anxious if my child is changing schools?

Erik Fisher
Change is a very difficult process and moving from one school to the next can feel scary and overwhelming to many children. It can also feel overwhelming to parents for a few reasons. As our children move from school to school, we can't help but recognize that our child is growing up, and some of us have a hard time letting go. Another reason is that sometimes we want to protect our child from experiencing pain. It is in some of these circumstances that parents can contribute to some of their children's stress in the change process. As a parent, if you are feeling distressed about changes that your child experiences, be careful not to communicate that to them. In my experience, when the parent's emotional well-being improves, the child's behavior often follows suit.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Parental Negativity Can Cause Childhood Obesity
President Richard Nixon’s VP, Spiro Agnew, called investigative journalists “nattering nabobs of negativism.” But it was the VP who showed up in the n...
How can I encourage respect in my children?
Lynne KenneyLynne Kenney
If you wish your children to be respectful, let them see you be respectful to others as you go a...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
A Car Makeover to Get You Organized
A Car Makeover to Get You Organized