When should I talk to my child about death?

It’s better to discuss the subject of death sooner than later. Rather than avoiding the subject until a loved one passes away, you can use small opportunities to talk about death with your child, even when they are very young.

Instead of shielding your daughter from pain when her pet goldfish dies, for example, you can use the event to talk about how death is a part of the cycle of life. You should also use the opportunity to discuss your family’s faith and what you believe happens after someone dies. It’s a good way to talk about God, heaven, the afterlife -- whatever your belief system encompasses.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Parenting

7 Steps to Healthy Eating Habits for Children
1. Start early. A basic biological fact: Kids will not crave foods they're not familiar with. As soon as your kid starts eating solid foods, really co...
What information should I give my child’s babysitter?
A babysitter should know the following things about your child: Your child’s routine, including m...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Heidi Shares Her Meal-Planning Tricks
Heidi Shares Her Meal-Planning Tricks