When should I get professional help for my child who lacks social skills?

Michele Borba
Studies show that it takes a minimum of 21 days for children -- and adults! -- to learn a new social skill. So help your child rehearse the skill until she can transfer (or use) the skill in real life with peers. Acknowledge efforts -- any little ones -- this is tough stuff and your child needs reinforcement.

When to seek help: If you do not see change, your child's self-esteem plummets, or you notice a marked change in your child's personality (she pulls back, withdraws, acts out, lacks focus, etc), then seek help! Many counselors are trained in social skill development and can offer solutions. Friendship plays an enormous part of your child's self-esteem and success.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Substitute Family Activities for Computer Time
If the tweens and teens in your life are complaining about back pains and headaches, check their screen time -- how many hours a day they spend starin...
How do I keep my guns safe from children?
Towanda StewartTowanda Stewart
It is also important fact to remember that children are curious by nature. Parents should be careful...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Smart Discipline: Alternatives to Spanking Your Child