What are some tips to help me guide my children?

Lisa Oz
Health Education

First, remember to be the parent and do not be afraid to be unpopular. Your job is to help your children grow as strong, moral, compassionate individuals, not to be their best friend. Do not be super strict, but set your expectations for your children based on your values, and insist on behavior that is congruent with them. Try to avoid saying no reflexively, but when you say it, mean it.

Remember that parenting is a process. It is far more about connection than progress and results. When you are the one who has lost your temper or let your child down, make sure you say you are sorry, and really mean it. When your kids do stupid things, remember to separate the action from the actor. Do not condone bad behavior, but keep your love for your child unconditional. When they are at their worst, they need your love the most. Try to focus on positive behavior, rather than dwelling on what they have done wrong.

Most important, show your children that you love them. With every word and every gesture, make sure they know that they are the most valuable things in the world. Because they really are!

Continue Learning about Parenting

Keep Out! Five Foods to Ban from Your Kid's Lunch Box
More and more parents are reverting to packing lunches until school cafeterias clean up their junk-food acts -- but here's the catch: It's easy to sab...
How can I stay educated about my child's digital world?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Keeping abreast with what is new in technology and what our kids are into will certainly increas...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
How to Help Kids Get Back on a Normal Sleep Schedule