What should I tell my child who comes home because he is homesick?

Michele Borba
So what if your kid doesn’t make it all through the night? If you want this to work in the long run, emphasize the positive accomplishment. “You stayed there two hours past your bedtime. That was much longer than last time.” “It’s not a big deal. You’ll have lots of opportunities to spend the night at friends’ houses again.” There’s always next year!

Continue Learning about Parenting

How to Be Your Child's Advocate at the Hospital
You can't be a silent bystander at any point in the care of your child. Make sure to speak up if you have questions or concerns. If you're the shy, pa...
How should I talk to my child about a tragedy in the news?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
The American Association of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry offers these tips for explaining a t...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
How Artificial Food Colors Affect Children