What should my child’s teacher know if my child has a chronic illness?

Whether your child has asthma, diabetes, allergies, epilepsy, or another chronic illness, provide your child’s school with the information required for meeting his or her needs, including:

• Child’s name and birth date
  • Child’s medical condition
  • Child’s doctors’ names and contact information
  • Emergency contact information of parents and another responsible adult, in case parents can’t be reached
  • Any significant changes to your child’s health that could affect his or her performance at school
  • A plan, worked out between parents and school staff, for accommodating your child in all capacities while at school
  • A plan for completion of class projects and homework in the event of frequent or prolonged absence
  • Written authorization to administer medication to your child at school, adequate supplies of medications, and their dosing schedule
  • Written authorization for emergency medical treatment

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Best Gift Grandparents Can Give: Playtime
Feeling just a little bit guilty because you're having so much fun with your grandkids ... maybe more than you had with your own kids? All the joy, an...
How can I help my child be accountable for his actions?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
So what happens if your kid continues displaying this attitude? It’s time to set a consequence; ...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
How Do You Use Social Media for Better Health?