What are some signs that I am too involved in my child's sport?

Erik Fisher
The following are the top ten ways to know when you are too wrapped up in your child's sport:
  1. You want to be an official of your child's sport because you think you can make better calls than the other referees.
  2. You have your child practicing every night at home until after dark.
  3. You start talking about your games when you were a kid during your child's games.
  4. You start calling players on other teams' names and make calls or noises when they're trying to focus.
  5. You start calling players on your child's team names or make calls or comments, hoping they'll mess up and your child will get more playing time.
  6. You coach your child's team and let your kid play more than others because you think he or she is better than anyone else on the team.
  7. You make your child cry before, during or after a game by your actions or comments toward him or her.
  8. Your child wants to quit playing and you want to keep coaching, telling him he's a quitter or a loser.
  9. You encourage your child to play with an injury or illness, telling her she's a loser or weak if she doesn't.
  10. You threaten your child, a player, another parent, coach or official with physical harm for any reason.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Medication Questions: Why Pediatricians Go Off-Label
If pediatricians prescribed only drugs approved for kids, we'd have a lot of sick kids. So it's extremely common for doctors to prescribe medications ...
What can I do to help my child open up?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
• Once you tune up your communication skills, your next step is to tweak your conversation topics. I...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Nutrition, Family and Healthcare
Nutrition, Family and Healthcare