What should I do about my child's school attendance or tardiness problems?

Michele Borba
Many parents are shocked to discover their kids are "missing" classes and marked absent even though you thought you sent your child to school on time. Don't overlook reviewing your child's attendance and tardies which are posted on the school's website. If there is a discrepancy:
  • Find out what's going on, why and find a simple solution.
  • If your child is chronically late waking up, get him an alarm clock.
  • Communicate with the teacher on a daily or weekly basis until the problem is resolved.
Don't overlook another cause: Could his tardiness have anything due to your own behavior like you can't find those car keys for the carpool or you're always scheduling his doctor's appointments during his crucial AP science class? Revamp your own behavior if needed.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

8 Lessons I Learned About Parenting in the ER
The emergency room is not a place you go to learn about parenting. Yet, after years of working as an ER doctor, during moments ranging from tragic to ...
How does technology impact kids’ social skills?
Dr. Lisa K. Strohman, PhDDr. Lisa K. Strohman, PhD
The most powerful impact technology overuse has is on interpersonal relationships. Interpersonal ...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Dr. Drew Pinsky Explains the Dark Web
Dr. Drew Pinsky Explains the Dark Web