What should I do about my child's school attendance or tardiness problems?

Michele Borba
Many parents are shocked to discover their kids are "missing" classes and marked absent even though you thought you sent your child to school on time. Don't overlook reviewing your child's attendance and tardies which are posted on the school's website. If there is a discrepancy:
  • Find out what's going on, why and find a simple solution.
  • If your child is chronically late waking up, get him an alarm clock.
  • Communicate with the teacher on a daily or weekly basis until the problem is resolved.
Don't overlook another cause: Could his tardiness have anything due to your own behavior like you can't find those car keys for the carpool or you're always scheduling his doctor's appointments during his crucial AP science class? Revamp your own behavior if needed.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

How to Deal with Toddler Tantrums
How to Deal with Toddler Tantrums
No question that tantrums (especially the public ones) can be some of the most frustrating times we have as parents and grandparents. The easiest thin...
How can the way I respond to financial issues affect my child?
Erik FisherErik Fisher
As a parent, you set stage for your children, and the manner in which you respond to financial i...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Dr. Oz Discusses the Concussion Epidemic