What mistakes do parents make in teaching children to love themselves?

Most parents tell their children that they love them, and most believe that speaking those words over and over again will gain validity and that children will then internalize the daily “I love yous” and become confident, self-loving individuals. Unfortunately, the message children actually hear is that someone else loves them, and it bypasses the notion that they have to learn how to love themselves first in order to pass on that loving behavior to others.

Also, parents may mistake self-love with self-esteem. They may look similar word-wise, but actually one has to come before the other. When you love yourself first, it creates a natural by-product of high self-esteem that helps build the confidence and courage to try and experience new things in life. The more self-love generated, the more self-worth is created and demonstrated.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Distracted Parenting
Distracted Parenting
With 1.4 billion smartphones floating around, it’s clear techno-intensity is making people drop out of conversations, relationships, and their own liv...
How can I teach my child morals?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Studies find that kids are most influenced by those persons toward whom they feel the strongest ...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
How Parental Arguments Affect Children
How Parental Arguments Affect Children