What mistakes do parents make in teaching children to love themselves?

Most parents tell their children that they love them, and most believe that speaking those words over and over again will gain validity and that children will then internalize the daily “I love yous” and become confident, self-loving individuals. Unfortunately, the message children actually hear is that someone else loves them, and it bypasses the notion that they have to learn how to love themselves first in order to pass on that loving behavior to others.

Also, parents may mistake self-love with self-esteem. They may look similar word-wise, but actually one has to come before the other. When you love yourself first, it creates a natural by-product of high self-esteem that helps build the confidence and courage to try and experience new things in life. The more self-love generated, the more self-worth is created and demonstrated.

Continue Learning about Parenting

No More Homework!
No More Homework!
I mean, best news ever, right? I have no doubt that it wasn’t just the students celebrating when Texas teacher Brandy Young told her second graders th...
What are some things I can do to ease my anxiety about becoming a parent?
Deborah R. Gilboa, MDDeborah R. Gilboa, MD
First and most important, recognize that your anxiety is normal, and don't waste time feeling guilty...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
How Can I Get My Kids to Eat Low-Fat Dairy Foods?