What method should I use to dry my baby?

Instead of rubbing, pat your baby dry. Rubbing can be too harsh for your child's young, sensitive skin, causing irritation or discomfort. Thoroughly dry any folds of your baby's skin, because these areas can trap moisture and cause irritation later.

Instead of rubbing, pat your baby dry. Rubbing can be too harsh for your child's young, sensitive skin.

After soaking in amniotic fluid for 9 months, you'd expect your newborn to have silky, soft, clear skin. While some do, more often than not, babies have dry, cracked skin that may be followed by an assortment of bumps and blemishes throughout the first year or so of life. Although many of these rashes resolve on their own, other skin conditions can pop up.

To keep your baby's skin as soft and clear as possible, bathe her with a mild, unscented soap or body wash. After bathing, gently pat skin dry and apply a mild, unscented thick cream or ointment all over any dry areas. Don't rub the skin dry as this can irritate and further dry out your baby's skin. For a baby or child with dry skin, it's best to leave a bit of water on the skin when gently patting dry and then smear a thick cream or ointment on within 3 minutes of getting out of the bath to help lock moisture into the skin.

Continue Learning about Parenting

6 Ways to Protect Your Child From Medical Mistakes
These are excerpted from a patient tip sheet published by the U.S. government. While all the info in it is useful, using this little hospital checklis...
How do I know if my child is spending too much time online?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Over the next few days do an informal reality check of your family. Note the extent each family ...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Signs Your Toddler is Ready to Start Potty Training