What should I know if I'm considering unschooling for my child?

Michele Borba
Unschooling is “ideal in philosophy and paper,” but often more difficult to pull off in reality. Though I have seen the philosophy achieve brilliant outcomes, it does not work for every child or every family. I caution parents to think very carefully before making the unschooling decision.

This will be a radical and significant decision for both your family and your child. That’s why it is important to have clear vision and be both nearsighted and farsighted in making a decision.

Nearsighted: Will unschooling work for my child, our relationship and our family in the here and now? Is this the best option for my child’s education as well as social, mental and emotional development at the present time? How will I address my child’s social development with his same-aged peers? Will this really work for my family?

Farsighted: Will unschooling help or hinder my child’s future? What happens to the child when unschooling comes to an end? For instance, will unschooling help (or hurt) my child’s abilities to assimilate into college or into the workplace? Will my child eventually fit into the workplace and possess critical 21st-century skills to succeed (such as teamwork, learning to adapt, respect for everything and flexibility)?
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Seven Steps to Raising a Lifelong Learner
Encouraging a love of learning is one of the greatest gifts you can give your children. Although your level of involvement will change often -- someti...
How can I help my child deal with cyberbullying?
Shawn EdgingtonShawn Edgington
Get involved! Cyberbullying can start with children as young as 8 or 9 years old and typically conti...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Should You Worry About Sibling Bullying?