What should I do if my kids argue over the noise level in a shared space?

Hal Runkel
Hal Runkel on behalf of ScreamFree
Marriage & Family Therapy
If your kids argue over the noise level in a shared space -- one child wants to sing and make noise, another child will choose that moment to want or even need silence -- why are you the one having to decide whether there will be singing or silence? Every time you arbitrate that argument for them, you're robbing them of a chance to learn to work it out themselves. Are they going to be yelling at each other? Yes. Will this increase the chances that they yell at each other? Yes. That's when you can be instructive and facilitative.

Ultimately, I think parents rob their kids of life lessons by figuring out their problems for them too often.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Childhood Obesity Prevention: Keep Tabs on Kids' Weight
Childhood obesity is rising faster than the national debt. About 1 in 5 school-age kids are obese—1 in 3 in some cities. You might think that even if ...
How can I get my kids to do household chores?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Years ago my girlfriend Cindy shared with me her parenting secrets to get her kids to do household c...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
What Is My Role In My Child's Development?