What is unschooling?

Michele Borba
Unschooling is a small but growing fringe of the homeschooling movement. It is based on the educational philosophy that kids -- not parents or teachers -- should choose what to study. Unschooling puts the child in charge of their learning and does not use a set curriculum or educational standards to achieve learning results.

The unschooling approach is child-driven learning and deeply rooted in the belief that kids are naturally driven to learn and will do so fiercely if left to their own devices and allowed to pursue their natural curiosities and interests.

The “unschooling belief” was developed by John Holt in the 1970s and refers to allowing children to learn through life experiences both in and out of the home and pursue subjects they find interesting. The parent role in unschooling is as an educational facilitator, not teacher.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

6 Ways to Prevent Medication Errors at Home
1. Never give your child any kind of aspirin (not even baby aspirin, which is not for babies). I cannot stress this enough. Aspirin can cause Reye's s...
What reactions can I expect from kids if I implement a Screen Free Week?
Edward R. Christophersen, PhDEdward R. Christophersen, PhD
If you implement a screen-free week in your home you should expect the first reaction to be almost e...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
The Monkey “Ice Cream” Everyone Will Love