What is attachment parenting?

Dr. William Sears, renowned pediatrician, author, and staunch advocate of “attachment parenting,” believes parents who spend much time touching their babies—skin-to-skin--help them to thrive and develop physically, emotionally, and intellectually.  “Attachment parenting involves what I call the 5 Baby Bs--birth bonding, breastfeeding, babywearing, bedding close to baby, and belief in baby’s cries. Skin-to-skin contact is vital for making this connection with baby and helps parents to know their infants and become experts in their baby’s needs.

Besides being enjoyable, stroking the skin is medically beneficial to the newborn. The skin, the largest organ in the human body, is very rich with nerve endings. At the time when baby is making the transition to air breathing, and the initial breathing patterns are very irregular, stroking stimulates the newborn to breathe more rhythmically, giving a parent’s touch real therapeutic value.”
Miracle Touch: A Complete Guide to Hands-On Therapies That Have the Amazing Ability to Heal

Discover the Healing Power of Human TouchCurious about the benefits of touch therapy? Interest in hands-on therapies has skyrocketed, and even conventional physicians now embrace these treatments as...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Lunchbox Safety
Lunchbox Safety
When a New York City 4 th grader Zachary Maxwell told his folks he wanted to take his lunch to school, they insisted he stick with the school’s oh-so-...
How can I encourage my children to be optimistic?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
Optimism in a family is rooted in the parents. The parents set the stage on which the drama of famil...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Are There Carcinogens in Children’s Pajamas?