What information should I give my child’s coach?

When your child begins a new sport program, think about all of the things that your child’s coach/instructor doesn’t yet know about your child. In order to keep your child safe and maximize his enjoyment, the coach should know the things found in the following list:

• Child’s name and birth date
  • Results of your child’s sports physical, to determine your child’s overall health and readiness
  • Your expectations -- is this strictly for enjoyment or a part of a long-term plan to achieve a high level of competence?
  • Any health limitations your child might have, such as asthma or epilepsy
  • Injuries your child has had that might impede performance
  • Any allergies your child has
  • Child’s doctors’ names and contact information
  • Emergency contact information of parents and another responsible adult, in case parents can’t be reached
  • Insurance provider and policy number
  • Other commitments your child has that might interfere with practices or games

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Lunchbox Safety
Lunchbox Safety
When a New York City 4 th grader Zachary Maxwell told his folks he wanted to take his lunch to school, they insisted he stick with the school’s oh-so-...
What is positive discipline?
Kristina D. Esham, MDKristina D. Esham, MD
An important part of discipline is focusing on the positive things your child does. Try to catch...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
What Is My Role In My Child's Development?