What can I do to encourage my preadolescent to open up and talk more?

Michele Borba

Here is simple behavior makeover to help your child open up and talk more:

Go to a place your kid enjoys- his zone- the batting cage - the mall. Your child will be more relaxed because he's in his territory and is more likely to open up. Some kids (especially boys) talk more when they are doing something. So find active things your child likes to do (kicking the soccer ball, building Legos, shooting baskets), and talk then. Tailor the topic around your child's interests: her CD collection, his baseball cards. He'll be more likely to discuss what's going on in his life. Ask questions that require more than a one-word answer: "What would you have done differently in the game?"

Whatever you try remember to consistently use the method until you do get the change you want.

Picture of father & son
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Picky Eaters: Preventing Food Wars
Picky Eaters: Preventing Food Wars
We've all seen kids who decide that the only thing worth eating is a chicken nugget. Or a bowl of mac and cheese. And that's it. Oh, the picky eater -...
How can I talk to my child about sex abuse?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Kids need to know “just in case scenarios,” and they need to understand what sexual abuse is and...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Heidi Helps Tomika Clean and Organize Her Minivan