What do I do when my child is homesick?

Michele Borba
Homesickness is normal. It is far more prevalent with younger kids and those who have never been away from home. It is also common with college-aged kids. So don’t go thinking your child is not adjusted if you get that "Mom! I hate it here!” call. Instead, listen. Just listen. Telling her to get over it, or it will get better, doesn’t seem to work (says the research). Don’t promise you’ll call her 50 times a day either. Bad move again say researchers. You can tell her to call again tomorrow. Listen to the tone in her voice. Talk to the camp counselor (without her knowing). And then make your decision (can she wait it out -- or it is better to pick her up) based on your child.

Continue Learning about Parenting

How to Reduce Your Baby’s Risk of SIDS
How to Reduce Your Baby’s Risk of SIDS
“This is the paramedic, we’re driving in with a 4-month-old. Mother found it in the crib, not breathing. CPR underway.” As an ER doctor, there are fe...
How can my behaviors and attitudes affect my child?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
We influence our children more than anyone else. They are most likely to pattern their choices a...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Are There Carcinogens in Children’s Pajamas?