What should I do if I think my child needs therapy?

If you decide your child needs help, the first step is to talk to your pediatrician or family doctor. He or she can help recommend a professional who specializes in kids your child’s age. It’s really important to select a therapist who has child psychology background. I find that a child’s school or friends of parents also are good sources for recommendations.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Parenting

8 Lessons I Learned About Parenting in the ER
The emergency room is not a place you go to learn about parenting. Yet, after years of working as an ER doctor, during moments ranging from tragic to ...
How do I keep my guns safe from children?
Towanda StewartTowanda Stewart
It is also important fact to remember that children are curious by nature. Parents should be careful...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
6 Ways to Stop Bullying
6 Ways to Stop Bullying