What should I do if a cyberbully continues to threaten my child?

Shawn Edgington
Pediatrics
For bullying situations that occur or continue to occur at school, set up a meeting with your child's school counselor, administrator, or teacher for both you and your child. Let your child lead the meeting and only step in when necessary. Your goal is to get the bullying to stop, not to worry about what the school is going to do to punish the bully. Put together an action plan and "next steps" should the bullying continue. Be sure to insist on confidentiality for your child, otherwise your meeting will backfire and add fuel to the fire.

If your child is being physically threatened online, in texts, or in person, strongly consider contacting your local police department. I know you're probably shaking your head at this one, but you've got to take physical threats and stalking situations that occur via social media as serious as those that occur in person. The police certainly do, so why shouldn't you? Print all posts, pictures and information that are relative to your child's assaults and save as evidence. A child is never going to volunteer to go to the police, no matter how desperate they feel. This is when an adult needs to take control and get help immediately.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Safe Weight Loss for Teens—How to Help Kids Lose Pounds and Inches
Q: My daughter is 13 and weighs 238 pounds. She started packing on the pounds at age 9. I am at a loss as to how to help her. -- Beverly via e-mail A...
What reactions can I expect from kids if I implement a Screen Free Week?
Edward R. Christophersen, PhDEdward R. Christophersen, PhD
If you implement a screen-free week in your home you should expect the first reaction to be almost e...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
How Susan Lucci Juggled Work and Supporting Her Family