What should I consider when choosing a camp for my child?

To help you choose between your camp options, here is a list of some of things you might want to consider when selecting a camp:

What the focus is
  • Would he or she enjoy an academic camp? A sports-related camp? An environmental camp?
  • Which specific programs do you and your child want the camp to include: Horseback riding? Canoeing? Arts and crafts? Campfire songs?
How it’s organized
  • Does your child enjoy or need structure at camp? Or a more relaxed atmosphere?
  • How much or little interaction will the campers have with the opposite sex? Will they participate in the same activities? Use a common dining hall?
  • How large or small is the camp? Would your child benefit from having the special attention that smaller camps can offer?
Quality issues
  • Are the counselors and staff well-trained?
  • How healthy are the meal and snack options?
Safety concerns
  • Will there be adequate supervision for all activities? What is the camper to counselor ratio?
  • Is the camp safe and secure?
  • Are background checks conducted on camp employees?
  • What medical facilities are available? Is there a doctor or nurse on-site?

Logistics

• What is the cost?
  • Will the camp dates fit in with your family’s schedule and vacation times?
  • Is the camp in a convenient location?
  • Is transportation to and from the camp available?

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Don’t Let Your Teens Vape
Don’t Let Your Teens Vape
The Breathe Youth Media Awards (formerly Hackademy) are given for smoking in films. In 2015 Bill Murray won for the PG-13 rated St. Vincent, in which ...
How can I help my child who is a slacker get organized?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Slacker kids (kids who dawdle, put things off until the last minute, are unorganized, have poor ...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
The Toxic Drink That Took These Teens’ Lives