What are some causes of behavior problems in children?

There are many other explanations for children's bad behavior that do not involve a brain disorder. Some things to consider are nutrition, your own mental health, and family stressors.

Look to the obvious -- too much sugar, not eating breakfast, or other nutritional deficits can cause difficulty concentrating and poor behavior. The family's mental health can play a role in a child's behavioral problems as well. If you or the child's other parent is depressed or struggling with addiction or any other mental health problem, that may be a likely explanation for your child's behavior. Your child receives emotional nourishment from her parents, so if you are having trouble, she may be taking in your emotional pain. Take a close look at how you are really doing; be honest with yourself and get help if you need it.
The Gift of ADHD: How to Transform Your Child's Problems into Strengths

As a parent, you already know that your child has many gifts. What you may not know is that attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) related symptoms—the very qualities that lead him or her...

Continue Learning about Parenting

4 Tips from the Pediatric ER
4 Tips from the Pediatric ER
Want insights from an emergency room (ER) insider? Listen to someone who's spent more than 10 years handling emergencies in several types of ERs: my o...
How can I help my child express her feelings about moving to a new place?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
If your child doesn't share her feelings about moving to a new home and neighborhood, you can he...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Dr. Tamar Chansky - Should I let my child watch the news after a tragedy?