Why is touching my child an important part of parenting?

While touch is important for any loving relationship, it's really important when it comes to parenting. Touching in a loving way reduces levels of the stress hormone cortisol and increases levels of the feel-good hormone oxytocin, which is also the molecule that makes us feel bonded to other people.

Remember, kids are constantly exposed to stress -- maybe not the kind of stress we know, but stress that comes with the uncertainty that all kids experience (such as the stress of Mom leaving the room, the stress from not being able to cover his face from the sun, or the stress of not knowing if someone will ever change his stinking diaper).

That's why we recommend infant massage, holding your baby against your skin while feeding, even if you're not breast-feeding, and snuggling up for a good story.

YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Safe Weight Loss for Teens—How to Help Kids Lose Pounds and Inches
Q: My daughter is 13 and weighs 238 pounds. She started packing on the pounds at age 9. I am at a loss as to how to help her. -- Beverly via e-mail A...
How can I help my child develop new skills?
Lynne KenneyLynne Kenney
First, talk it out (before the storm). One of the most effective ways you can help build skills ...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
How Can I Get My Kids to Eat Low-Fat Dairy Foods?