What should I do if I suspect my child is materialistic?

Michele Borba
I'll give you specific solutions based on the latest research, to help you turn around this troubling materialistic trend with your child.

University of Minnesota researchers found a quick solution to turn materialism around is to compliment your child's INSIDE qualities instead of focusing on appearance or things. Simple but effective. The more those sincere, genuine, and specific compliments were geared at the child's "inside" strengths, the less the child had to focus on purchasing things to boost their "outside" appearance.

So to start using this simple solution, find a real and deserved quality your child deserves recognition for (maybe she is respectful, kind or fair) and then start boosting it. The research found the more you focus on a child's inside strengths, the less the kid needs to show off what he wears or has on the outside. Your goal is to try and convey this message to your child:

"Who you are is more important that what you own?"

Besides common sense parenting techniques of putting away your wallet, not being afraid to say no, spending more time than money on your kids, reducing the hoarding, and watching what you model, use the science-based technique from the University of Minnesota: praise your child's inside qualities.

There are dozens of other simple, practical and proven solutions to counter this troubling trend in my book: The Big Book of Parenting Solutions. My goal is to offer dozens of strategies for you to try. Your job is to choose the one that works best for your family. And then please stick with it until you reap the change you seek. After all, your only barometer of good parenting is for your child to act right without you. That means you need to parent for REAL and LASTING CHANGE.

If you need any other reason to put away your wallet and work on turning your kid's materialistic streak around, read this: The University of Minnesota found that  materialistic kids are less happy, more anxious, less able to handle adversity, less generous and charitable and feel less secure and have lower self-esteem. And materialistic kids have lower opinions of their parents and argue with them more.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Learning Games for Toddlers and Babies
Learning Games for Toddlers and Babies
Without a doubt, there will be plenty of time to have your child take all kinds of tests: math tests, spelling tests, driving tests. But just for fun,...
How can I teach my child to avoid impulsive buying?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
To help avoid impulsive buying, involve the kids. Discuss the difference between "needs vs. want...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
How Susan Lucci Juggled Work and Supporting Her Family