How can I stop my child from sleeping in my bed?

Ellen Rome, MD
Pediatrics
A child sleeping in a parent's bed - it is hard to give advice without knowing the family and what has been going on. Do they have a place to sleep? A nightlight? If it is a rare event, it's not the end of the world, especially if there has been high stress (like a grandparent or beloved family member's death). If it is a pattern, the parent can start by putting the child to bed and sitting with them until the child is settled and asleep, or at least settled and snuggled in bed. A good bedtime routine helps, and the parent can still be reading stories at bedtime. The parent can then stay outside the bedroom but nearby, keeping junior from bed jumping. If the kid comes into the room in the middle of the night, walk them back to the bed, give a good hug, and start the process again.
Charles J. Sophy, MD
Adolescent Medicine

If it is a rare event, it's not the end of the world, especially if there has been high stress (like a grandparent or beloved family member's death).

If it is a pattern, the parent can start by putting the child to bed and sitting with them until the child is settled and asleep, or at least settled and snuggled in bed.

A good bedtime routine helps, and the parent can still be reading stories at bedtime. The parent can then stay outside the bedroom but nearby, keeping junior from bed jumping.

If the kid comes into the room in the middle of the night, walk them back to the bed, give a good hug, and start the process again.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Late Night Text Talk Causing Kids' Sleep Problems
      Cell phones and computers . . . we love ‘em (most of the time). We can keep in touch with our spouses and kids, no matter what. If we're not 100% sure...
      How should I talk to my child about death?
      Be gentle with your child, but don’t try to shelter him from the facts. Clearly explain what has hap...
      Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
      Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
      Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
      How to Protect Your Kids From the Dark Web