What steps can I take to reduce my kids' greediness?

Michele Borba

Have you noticed that we seem to have a lot of greedy kids these days? If so, you’re not alone. The general public agrees and feels that increased numbers of today’s youth are self-centered, spoiled. greedy and materialistic. Instead of being appreciative of what they have, these critters only seem to want more, more, more.

Think about it: if you incessantly prioritize your own wants and desires and put others’ needs and feelings on hold, your life outlook is inevitably affected. More often than not, the message learned is that relationships are far less valuable than self and material possessions acquired. Bottom line: steady dosages of greediness are shattering to our kids’ character. So if your child appears to have a case of the “gimmes”, always puts himself first, and isn’t appreciative what he has, it’s time for a serious makeover. Start today by beginning a long-term commitment to inspire frugality, altruism, and generosity and reduce your kids’ greediness.

Here are the Six Steps to Reduce Kid Greed and Reopen Generosity:

Step 1. Encourage Experiences That Nurture Strong Values.

Step 2. Tame the Gimmes, Then Don’t Back Down.

Step 3.
Monitor Media Consumption that Drives Greediness.

Step 4. Praise Charitable Deeds.

Step 5. Encourage Savings and Financial Planning.

Step 6. Require Giving to Others.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Childhood Obesity Prevention: Keep Tabs on Kids' Weight
Childhood obesity is rising faster than the national debt. About 1 in 5 school-age kids are obese—1 in 3 in some cities. You might think that even if ...
How can I stay educated about my child's digital world?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Keeping abreast with what is new in technology and what our kids are into will certainly increas...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
What Is My Role In My Child's Development?