What are some different parenting styles?

Different parenting styles include Marshmallow Mom, Iron Mom and Flexo Mom. Watch the video as Dr. Mike Roizen and Dr. Ellen Rome describe the pros and cons of these different parenting styles.

Bonnie Harris
Pediatrics

There are two broad extremes—the parent who has a hard time saying "no" (parent A) and the parent who has a hard time saying "yes" (parent B). A parent tends to put the child's needs ahead of her own, often unconsciously, and does little for herself to refuel. In this scenario, the child is often given too much power and too few or inconsistent limits, the parents gives and gives, until resentment takes over, and she blows. Parent A may be afraid to say no and set limits for fear of her child being unhappy or not loving her. Parent B fears "giving in" and losing control, and the child "winning". Parent B sees his own needs as more important than the child's and the child ends up with too little power to feel capable and will either give in to the parent's wishes, losing a strong sense a self or resist, rebel and act out in the fight for power depending on the child's temperament. Often we swing back and forth between closer to A or closer to B, but if a button gets pushed, we automatically swing to the end of the spectrum that more defines us. Our goal as parent is to work toward finding a balance in the middle of the spectrum.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Spank, Slap or Hit Your Kids? Your Parenting Style Could Cause Them Problems Later On
Physical punishment—punishment that involves spanking, slapping, hitting or pulling, also known as corporal punishment—is one way parents discipline t...
How can I help my child focus her energy?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
Children are often full of wonder about the universe, planets, and deep space. You can tap into ...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
How Can I Get My Children to Eat More Vegetables?