Should I set rules to help my child become ethical?

Michele Borba
Experts find that parents who raise moral kids expect their kids to act morally, even demand that they do. Chances are that the kids will, simply because their parents require that they do. Dr. Marvin Berkowitz, chairman of the Center for Character Development, emphasizes that the best moral expectations are those that are high yet reachable and that are clearly communicated to kids. Once those expectations are set, parents must stick to them and not back down. Here are a few examples of moral expectations that other families count on all members to follow:  Honesty: Everyone in our family is always expected to be honest with one another.  Kindness: In this home, we will always treat one another kindly and act just as we would like to be treated by others.  Peacefulness: In this family, we talk calmly to one another and listen respectfully. We try to solve our conflicts peacefully and honestly.  Respect: We talk to one another respectfully with words that build each other up and don’t put each other down. We also honor and respect each other’s privacy and property.  Responsibility: Each of us shares a responsibility to make our home run smoothly. We all agree to do our chores to the best of our ability, and we finish our work before we play.  Effort: Everyone is expected to always do their personal best.  Perseverance: In this family, we don’t give up!
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

5 Tips for Boosting a Child’s Memory
5 Tips for Boosting a Child’s Memory
The Cowboy called Forgetful Jones is a Sesame Street character who can’t even remember he needs his horse to take a ride around his ranch. That’s cute...
How can I take care of myself if I am a parent of twins?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Multiple kids may double your pleasure but it also doubles the stress. Some research suggests th...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Smart Discipline: Alternatives to Spanking Your Child