Should I be concerned if my child brags a lot?

Michele Borba
There’s a bad attitude spreading among kids these days and it’s got a name: arrogance. No child is born arrogant, yet more kids are bragging about their accomplishments and comparing their possessions and achievements to others’.

This disturbing trend, which I attribute in large part to our competitive, materialistic and “praise-aholic” culture, is not only unbecoming, it also doesn’t lead to lasting friendships.

The good news is that kids can learn to curb their arrogance, and it’s up to the caring adults in their lives to show them how.

Don’t get me wrong: I’m not belittling any child’s talents or skills. This issue isn’t about what a kid can do or how he looks. It’s about his preoccupation with being center stage, making sure everyone knows just how great he is. And researchers report that this childhood need, if left unchecked, will remain a pattern in adulthood as well.

A child’s sense of self-worth should not be contingent upon earning approval and accolades from others. The best self-esteem is internalized, with the child gaining a sense of pride and inner confidence in accomplishing something for the simple joy of doing it on his own.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

5 Sneaky Ways to Boost Your Kids' Nutrition
Constantly wondering how to get your kids to eat healthier food? Wonder no more. With a little parental sleight of hand, finicky eaters will enthusias...
Why should I take away my child's cell phone at night?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
One solution to help kids get a good night's sleep for a better school day is to take away your ...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Are There Carcinogens in Children’s Pajamas?