Should I ban my child from the computer if he's been cyberbullied?

Michele Borba
A study at Clemson University found that kids often did not tell their parents about cyberbullying for fear of losing online privileges. One study found that almost 60% of kids did not tell their parents when someone was abusive to them online. So do not overreact or ban your child from using the Internet altogether if you suspect your child was harassed online. Doing so may curtail your child from telling you she was victimized.

After all, you want your child to feel comfortable coming to you and telling you about any safety concerns both on or offline. Keep the doors of communication open! Meanwhile, keep reviewing safety rules with your child and monitor that technology.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Don’t Let Your Teens Vape
Don’t Let Your Teens Vape
The Breathe Youth Media Awards (formerly Hackademy) are given for smoking in films. In 2015 Bill Murray won for the PG-13 rated St. Vincent, in which ...
How can I help a child who has sensory integration issues?
Dr. Heather Wittenberg, PhDDr. Heather Wittenberg, PhD
I don’t know about you, but I certainly have my own sensory preferences. If there’s a lot of backgro...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Is Social Media the Solution to Improve Healthcare?