How can sharing my moral beliefs help teach my child morality?

Michele Borba
Share your moral beliefs and take stands. Speaking frequently to your child about values  is called “Direct Moral Teaching.” Parents who raise ethical kids use it often. So look for moral issues and talk about them as they come up: from TV shows and news events to situations at home, school, and friends. Tell your kids how you feel about the issue and why. Share examples of morally courageous heroes such as Rosa Parks, Pee Wee Reese, Harriet Tubman, Abe Lincoln. There are wonderful books and videos in your local library that you can also share with your child. Cut out fabulous articles in the newspaper and use them as “Hero Reports” at the dinner hour with your kids each day. Stand up for your beliefs whenever you feel a major value is jeopardized. Your kid needs to see and hear about moral courage so he has an example to copy.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Your Parenting Style Is Important
Your Parenting Style Is Important
Iman Shumpert, the Cleveland Cavaliers interestingly-coifed forward, has his own playing style. And he uses it to help create a smooth-working offense...
Why should I monitor what my children do on the computer?
Donna Barhorst, MDDonna Barhorst, MD
Some of the reasons why you want to know what your children are doing when they're on the comput...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Fighting Over an Overweight Child
Fighting Over an Overweight Child