How can I set a good moral example for my child?

Michele Borba
Walk your talk. One great question to ask yourself each day is: “If I were the only example my child had to learn moral habits, what did she learn today from watching me?” The answer can be quite revealing. By watching your choices and hearing your casual comments, kids learn our moral standards. Aristotle taught us hundreds of years that the best way to teach character is through example. Make sure the moral behaviors your kids are picking up on are ones that you want your kids to copy. And then make sure your child is surrounded by examples that boost character and integrity. How many of these messages apply to you? Do you:

• eat a “sample” from a store’s candy bin in front of your child without paying?
• buy a ticket for a “child under twelve” even though your child is older?
• drive faster than the speed limit with your child as a passenger?
• tell your child to say you’re not there when your boss calls?
• do the majority of your child’s work on a school project, but then have him sign his name?

Continue Learning about Parenting

7 Steps to Healthy Eating Habits for Children
1. Start early. A basic biological fact: Kids will not crave foods they're not familiar with. As soon as your kid starts eating solid foods, really co...
How can I help my kids remember rules?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
While there are dozens of talks we can have with our kids and even dozens more rules and tips we...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Should You Worry About Sibling Bullying?