How can I reinforce the meaning of respect with my kids?

Lynne Kenney
When you teach your children what respect looks like in words and actions, you’re helping them master a vital life skill. It’s time now to create a few sentences that you will actually say to your children in order to reinforce what respect means in your home. Tell your children clearly what it means to live with respect. Here’s a sampler to get you started:

“Respecting one another means we use kind words and calm behaviors.”

“Respecting our friends means listening thoughtfully to their wishes.”

“Respect means that when a schoolmate criticizes the clothing another child wears, you tell them that we all have different taste and that we should be kind to our friends by choosing not to speak if we have nothing kind to say.”

Continue Learning about Parenting

Medication Questions: Why Pediatricians Go Off-Label
If pediatricians prescribed only drugs approved for kids, we'd have a lot of sick kids. So it's extremely common for doctors to prescribe medications ...
Should I allow my child to play video games?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
There's no doubt that video games are a part of the plugged-in generation's lifestyle. But that ...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
A Car Makeover to Get You Organized
A Car Makeover to Get You Organized