How do I handle raising twins or multiple babies?

I recommend the National Organization of Mothers of Twins Clubs for parents raising twins or multiples to address specific issues and concerns and to find a local chapter. Here, a few pointers to get you started:

• Stay on Task. In terms of logistics, the big trick is staying organized. As tired as you may be at times, it's imperative (for your own sanity) to stay organized -- and to get help from your partner and other family members. You'll always need to be equipped with the right amount of diapers, bottles, etc., and staying prepared will make life easier all around.
  • Figure out a Feeding Routine. Feeding two infants is tricky no matter how you cut it. And your situation (breast or bottle or both) will dictate how you can manage it. We recommend that you feed both at the same time (or one right after another), so that they can stay on similar feeding and sleeping schedules. While it may be more efficient to feed them in car seats at the same time as they get older, do keep in mind that babies prefer being held when fed.
  • Think Solo. Even though you can have a lot of fun and enjoy "cute" moments with twins or multiples doing things together (and dressing alike), you should really do what you can to make sure that they're treated as individuals as much as possible. That means doing things like:
  • choosing different-sounding names;
  • dressing them in different colors;
  • not calling them "the twins," but by name;
  • taking time out to spend private time with each individually;
  • buying different toys, books, etc., based on their personal interests, not focusing so much on trying to be "equal";
  • having them in different preschool classrooms, if possible;
  • encouraging cooperation rather than competition between the two
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Late Night Text Talk Causing Kids' Sleep Problems
Cell phones and computers . . . we love ‘em (most of the time). We can keep in touch with our spouses and kids, no matter what. If we're not 100% sure...
How can I help my child if he has too many activities?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Many students are on activity overload, which may contribute to stress and cut into energy and t...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Fighting Over an Overweight Child
Fighting Over an Overweight Child