How do I know when to seek professional help for my child's behavior?

Michele Borba

Here are simple behavior makeover tips to help you know when you should worry about your child and get help:

1. First, look for a pattern in your child's behavior. Every child is going to feel sad or be angry. But if you see a sudden change in your child's normal behavior that lasts longer than two weeks that's become intense. Anger, defiance, crying, a change in friends, sleeping, eating, or dress habits, trouble in school.
   2. She's drawing pictures or writing poems about death, asking questions about funerals, giving away personal belongs, constantly listening to sad songs or lyrics about dying.
   3. Your instinct says something is wrong. This is the one sign parents don't rely on nearly enough.

Don't wait. Pick up the phone and get help.

Whatever you try remember to consistently use the method until you do get the change you want.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...
Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics

In order to decide when to seek professional help for behavior, just ask your pediatrician. Most behavior problems can be helped at a regular visit with basic suggestions, however some issues need more time and therapy. 

Most importantly, if your child talks about harming themself or someone else, call your pediatrician immediately or go to the nearest emergency room.

Continue Learning about Parenting

How to Keep Your Teen Driver Safe
How to Keep Your Teen Driver Safe
When 23-year-old singer-songwriter James Taylor starred in the 1971 drag-racing movie Two Lane Blacktop his character loved speeding down the highway....
What's the most effective way to praise my child?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Research shows that praise is only effective if we use the right kinds of words. Columbia Univer...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Smart Discipline: Alternatives to Spanking Your Child