Is it ok to be strict with my children?

Lisa Oz
Health Education

It is ok to be strict, but do not be super strict. Kids are incessantly whining because sometimes we will not let them do whatever the rest of their class is doing. From going to A‑rated movies, to staying out until midnight, if their friends are allowed to do it, they think they should be too. It is a lot easier to cave in and let them do what they want, especially once the begging begins, but that would not be the right choice. While your children may say they want more permissive, laissez-faire child rearing, in reality they need someone to set boundaries and provide a predictable structure. Appropriate and consistent discipline creates a sense of security that does not exist when there are no consequences. In addition, when you do not impose any limits for your child, the implication is that you do not care or that you are just too lazy to do anything about it.

Continue Learning about Parenting

5 Sneaky Ways to Boost Your Kids' Nutrition
Constantly wondering how to get your kids to eat healthier food? Wonder no more. With a little parental sleight of hand, finicky eaters will enthusias...
How can I help my child cope with back-to-school anxiety?
The best way to help your child cope with back-to-school anxiety is by being available to listen to ...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
As a Parent, What Should I Stock in My Medicine Cabinet for My Kids?